The roof is your home’s first barrier between you and the elements of nature, so you want it to be in the best condition possible. This means making time for frequent roof inspections. But despite the importance of roof inspection, this a job many homeowners forget to do – at least until they have a leak or missing shingles. Then, having the roof inspected and repaired suddenly becomes a priority.
Often times these roofing rescues can be prevented by taking the time to do a roof inspection on a regular basis. In fact, we recommend doing a roof inspection at least twice a year, as well as after any severe weather event.
Perhaps you're thinking, “Do my own roof inspection! Are you kidding?” No, we aren’t. You don’t have to be a professional to be able to do a roof inspection; rather, you just need to do follow these steps.
- Walk around your home looking for any signs of damage, sagging or aging. Note any areas that need to be examined closer.
- As you do your on-ground roof inspection, pay close attention to any areas where there is an accumulation of moss, algae or leaves as these can lead to leaks and water damage.
- Carefully look for any shingles that may be buckled or curled. You will also want to check for any places where shingles are missing, aged or damaged.
- If you have not cleaned your rain gutters and overhangs recently, plan to do so soon – if not that day – as any debris build up can cause roof damage.
- As you inspect your roof, note any areas where there is granule (shingle texture) loss as this is an indicator of weather damage to the shingles. Any shingles that are missing granules need to be replaced.
- Take out your metal ladder and check the flashing, as well as the seals around the seams, chimneys, skylights, etc. If it is damaged, cracked or shrinking, these items need to be replaced, as they are key areas for leakage.
- If your home has an attic, then be sure to look for any signs of leaking or water penetration under the roof.
Doing your own roof inspection is something that every responsible homeowner should do. It may take you a bit of time, but it can save you a great deal of money. So, don’t forget your roof!
After all, if you take care of it, your roof will take care of you.
If you aren't comfortable conducting a roof inspection on your own, that's definitely something we can help you with! Rescue Roofing Specialists has an experienced team of roofing professionals who are comfortable with the ins-and-outs of inspecting a roof.
Get in touch with us today to schedule an inspection!